Friday, August 28, 2009

Fantastico!

I've somehow managed to wake up early and run twice this week! That's exactly 2 more times than normal! Suh. Weet!




I've been scrambling around getting ready to head to Memphis this afternoon, then to Little Rock Saturday for Carol's bachelorette party. I'M SOOOO FRIGGIN' EXCITED! We've had some damn good memories come from Little Rock and I am certain that Carol's Bachelorette party will top the list! Being Maid of Honor, I've whipped up a nice goody bag for everyone this week. In midst of all that, I miraculously made a homemade, healthy dinner in less than an hour. WHAT? Let me share.





Since I went to Whole Foods on Sunday and purchased an on sale! eggplant ($1.00), I've been dreaming of Eggplant Parmigiana. This is my mother's favorite dish-we even lugged ourselves to EVERY restaurant in Little Italy to find some authentic Eggplant Parmigiana, and had no luck. I digress, so I googled the basics to "baked eggplant Parmesan" and then I followed my own ideas. And, I used homemade breadcrumbs. Ok, I already had those on hand, but still. Homemade breadcrumbs.





Baked Eggplant Parmesan
  • 1 eggplant cut into thick slices
  • 1 egg
  • whole wheat bread crumbs and a few tablespoons of panko mixed in (3/4 cup? I suck at measurements.)
  • salt
  • pepper
  • red pepper flakes
  • dried basil
  • Italian seasoning

Preheat oven to 350. In one bowl, crack open egg into and beat. In another bowl, combine breadcrumbs, panko, spices (to taste). Mix around with fingers. Dip eggplant into egg, then into bread crumb mixture. Place onto foil lined baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes one side, 5 the other, then crank the oven to 400 and add slices of fresh mozzarella cheese. When the cheese begin to bubble, they are done. Remove and top with Vodka sauce (follows) and what else ARUGULA and fresh Parmesan!!!!

Almost Homemade Vodka Sauce
  • 1 jar of your favorite marinara/tomato sauce (I use Classico's Spicy Tomato and Basil and I also eat it by the spoonful)
  • 3/4 cup vodka
  • about 3/4 cup light cream

In a saucepan, simmer jar of sauce and vodka together for about 20 minutes. Slowly add cream to sauce. (I always add to taste.) I think I used about 3/4 cup. Maybe. Always taste. Remove from heat and dump over eggplant. Scarf down.
I also made a quick salad of spinach, fresh mozzarella, onion, tomato and spicy olives with a little drizzle of olive oil and freshly ground pepper. And we also enjoyed some crispy green beans.


Cheap and Fancy aren't oxymorons in our house!!!

Happy Friday All!

No comments:

Post a Comment