Monday, July 6, 2009

I already miss the weekend!

Why do weekends fly by when the week seems to pass at a glacial pace? It's just not fair. (can you hear me pouting?)


I am trying to convince my boss to adapt to a European work style-they have it made over there! I wonder if it will work?

I forgot where I left off! Ah, yes, I remember.


Friday: I had a nice run with my running partner, Joey. It was hot (80ish) and sunny! I love a good summertime run sweat! Joey, on the other hand, spent all her energy during the first 20 minutes lunging after fellow doggys. But I made her march onward-she may slow me down, but she's no quitter!


Friday night live-in and I made a most delicious meal consisting of:


Grilled blackened Mahi Mahi with a Vanilla Beurre Blanc Sauce with a Quinoa Risotto and Grilled Asparagus with a Blue Cheese Sauce and a Smoked Gouda Crostini! Fancy and YUM!


For the Asparagus:

  • grill or bake in the oven
  • melt blue cheese crumbles on during the last 5 minutes or so
The Quinoa Risotto wasn't as superb as I imagined, but delicious none the less. If you do a google search, you will get plenty of results, but I chose the least complicated method. Risotto, from what I understand, is somewhat difficult to prepare. At least the food competition TV shows make me think that. hehehehe.



The blackened Mahi is still under "testing"! This week, we will be testing grilled blackened Swordfish! If the result is as outstanding as the Mahi, then I will post the recipe.




I also believe the Vanilla sauce would have been better had it been more of a cream sauce and not a beurre blanc, to combat the spiciness of the Mahi!




Dessert was of course coconut milk ice cream-cookie dough, and I tell you it takes so much will power to NOT eat the entire container in one sitting.




Saturday:
I woke up to a beautiful morning and had a banana with some White Chocolate PB and a cup of coffee and 1/2 liter of water. About an hour later, I went for a nice long-ish run of 9 miles. I did a full loop around Central Park and the outside loop around the reservoir. I believe I held about a 9:22-9:45 pace, which is a perfect Saturday morning pace!

When I came home, I was sticky and starving! After I unstunk myself, I began making my newest creation: The Best Burrito Ever- or BBE for short.

My BBE has fantastic layers of spicy black beans, greek yogurt, homemade guacamole, onions and tomatoes, and a pinch of cheese, all wrapped in an unbleached flour tortilla!

OH MAN! What have I done? I created a food monster in my belly! Everytime I eat, my belly monster wants a BBE. Sigh!


Guacamole: (I vary this from time to time, but this is the recipe I used)

  • 1 Avocado
  • 1/2 tomato, diced
  • 1/2 sweet Vaidalia onion, diced
  • 1/4 jalapeno, diced
  • juice of 1 lime
  • kosher salt, generous pinch of cayenne

Once the veggies are diced, I mash the avocado and lime juice together in a separate bowl. Fold in veggies and season to taste. Sometimes I use a bit of garlic, cilantro, corn (from frozen) cumin, orange juice. I usually prefer the very basic recipe though!

Black Beans:
  • 1 can no salt added black beans-drain most of the bean juice out
  • 1/2 Vaidalia onion, diced
  • 1/2 jalapeno, diced
  • kosher salt, cayenne pepper, hot sauce

In a saucepan, add beans at a medium-low heat (so they don't burn), fold in veggies and spices and heat throughly.


The trick is to heat the tortillas! Wrap tortillas in foil and heat for about 10 minutes at 350.

On the tortilla: slap down some Greek yogurt (I use in the place of sour cream-much healthier with very similar tastes), shredded lettuce, 2.5 scoops of beans, 2 scoops of guacamole (ok, maybe 3 scoops), pinch of cheddar cheese, tomatoes and onions.
On the side I had some guac and chili lime chips!

If that's not perfection, I'm not sure what is!!!!!!
Plus it's the perfect recovery fuel!



Oh, by the way, I don't have a microwave, and I highly recommend not having one! Invigorating!


Up Next, Saturday and Sunday!!! Oh the Excitement!

No comments:

Post a Comment