Tuesday, July 21, 2009

It's Pizza, It's Piizzaaaa Time

When I don't get home until 7-7:30 at night, it's hard to muster up some energy to cook everything from "scratch". And, it only makes it worse when you don't know what you want to eat AND you're famished.


I hit up live-in's 2 way and asked him what he was craving. And the typical boy/bachelor in him said "pizza". Ding! Tortilla pizzas!


Since we were out of tortillas, mozzarella, sauce and other various toppings, I journeyed to the local store and picked up 12" unbleached flour tortillas, Classico's Spicy Tomato and Basil Red Sauce, and some mozzarella.


When I got back to the hizzy, I stuck the pizza stone in the oven and cranked it up to 450 degrees and let the stone heat up (40 minutes) while I chopped up some toppings and whipped together a salad.





Yes, this is the same recipe as a few weeks ago, but since not everything was homemade, adjustments need to be made.



Toppings:
Margherita Pizza
  • 3-4 spoonfuls of the sauce (which needs to be heated lightly-5 minutes medium heat prior to putting it on the tortilla)
  • Fresh Mozzarella Cheese-I cut mine into thin strips
  • Chopped Fresh Basil (from my garden)
  • Lay all the toppings on and bake for 7-11 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is bubbling.
Veggie/Protein pizza
  • 1 slice Turkey Salami, diced
  • 1 Slice Turkey Ham, diced
  • Red Onion, diced
  • Green Pepper, Diced
  • Green Olives, Diced
(stick in the oven in a foil packet for a few minutes to pre-heat it.)



Again, sauce, toppings, cheese, basil. You get the gist. Bake 7-11 minutes maybe a tad longer, until the cheese is bubbly and you start drooling on the stove top.



Normally, throughout the week, I tend to repeat meals because 1. I can perfect them and 2. it's easy that way. I will try not to most multiple food items, only if I have made adjustments.





Of course, how do you not have pizza without a glass of red wine and a salad?

Note: This is a nice alternative to semi-home make a pizza and not use a crust. The tortillas I currently have on hand are 231 kcal, 39 Carbs, 6 protein, per tortilla. Certainly you can use whole wheat, fewer calories, etc. I like the fact that I am eating pizza, but yet, I know the ingredients and the caloric content and I can control the carb to protein ratio.


I think this recipe will become a staple in my weekly menu!

1 comment:

  1. Yumm... I LOVE pizza! Thanks for the recipes. Passing them along to Brent. :)

    ReplyDelete